Thursday, July 28, 2016

Farmers Market Odyssey #1: Fresh on Q! in Texas Township

As I continue to learn about sustainability, one of my goals this summer is to go to as many farmer’s markets as I can around Kalamazoo. When I go back up to school, I want to continue to find new markets around East Lansing, too. Buying from farmer’s markets just makes sense; it’s locally grown, fresh food, and you’re supporting business and farmers in nearby towns. The produce traveling a shorter distance from field to plate, and the fact that they’re in-season both contribute to lower prices. That sounds sustainable and logical to me!

The market I was able to go to this week was Texas Township Market (Fresh on Q!). When I got there it was raining, but that didn’t matter because Texas Township has built a great pavilion for the market to keep the tables (and you) dry from the rain (or in the shade on a sunny day!). Walking up, I could smell the barbeque from one of the food trucks drawing me in closer. There were multiple food trucks/ stands selling hot foods including barbeque, wood-fire pizza, and Mexican-style foods. I visited the market around 6pm on a Tuesday, and I easily could have eaten any of those for dinner!

One thing that I believe makes Texas Township Market unique is the amount of baked goods that were offered. Some available items included muffins, pies, cookies, gourmet desserts, cinnamon bread, take-n-bake varieties, and more. Some sellers had organic, others had gluten-free; it’s safe to say that you can find something that suits you.  Another noteworthy aspect of this farmer’s market is the friendliness of all the sellers. Almost every table I walk past acknowledged me with a “hello” or a simple smile. The approachability of everyone there made it a very comfortable and relaxed experience.

Now, of course, I get to the produce. The selection at Fresh on Q! is great; along with the food and treats already mentioned, the fruits and vegetables look delicious. On a rainy day, it was so nice to see the colorful array of produce.  I wandered down to the end and I saw a basket of mini cucumbers, which I had to get. At the same table they had container labeled “HUGE zucchini” for $1.00 each, and they weren’t kidding. I bought a zucchini that is bigger than my forearm for a dollar! Other sellers had great deals, too. For four dollars you could get one and three-quarter pounds of green beans – that’s a hefty amount of beans. A pint of red juicy raspberries cost $3.00, and ears of corn were only $0.50 each! It’s hard to beat these prices, but even better, it’s hard to beat the freshness that comes with buying from farmer’s markets.

Fresh on Q! is located in Texas Corners on 60th Avenue right next to the fire station. It’s open on Tuesdays from 4-7pm and Saturdays from 8am-noon. If you haven’t been by this market yet, I encourage you to check it out! If you already go to the Texas Township market, keep it up! You’re benefitting your community, local farmers, small business, and yourself.

Thanks for reading!


Kara

No comments:

Post a Comment